Monday, September 26, 2011

Last But Not Least...A Little Update

& Finally...I've made a lot of posts today!


Just a description of my well-being as of late. 


A few weeks ago, my Peace Corps group had our Mid-Service medical. This is required after one has reached being in country for one year. During this time they do a basic physical, ask if you have any health concerns, and let you go get your teeth cleaned. During the physical they take blood, urine, & stool samples; which they then use to test for most of the common afflictions associated with living as PCV's do, in the bush.


In terms of my results, all was as it should be aside from the fact that i (along with some of my friends) tested positive for having contracted Bilharzias aka Schistosomiasis; we probably contracted this from swimming in Lake Victoria. This is a type of trematode (worm) that gets into the body and uses the circulatory system to spread throughout the body and infect organs & what have you. It is easily treated & i have taken the medicine so i should be worm free now. :o)


Here is a website that can tell you a bit more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schistosomiasis


Also, this past week (Thursday to be exact) i had an slight accident on the matatu...the driver had to suddenly slam on his brakes causing my head to whip forward at which point i went face first into a safety bar. Luckily, i took the blow mouth first, ha ha, thus breaking my two front teeth and ripping a rather sizable portion of my lower lip to shreds. I figure thats better than getting a broken nose... :0)


Other than that all is going well for me. I will be finished with my service relatively soon & have plenty to keep me busy until then. I plan to begin the job hunt rather soon, looking for opportunities both in the states and abroad; if anyone has any recommendation or hears of any openings i might be interested in let me know! Oh, and ill be getting my teeth repaired soon.


F. Porter Nellans Jr. - From Kenya With Care



No comments:

Post a Comment