Sunday, July 18, 2010

Yesterday was our final day in Oloitokitok and therefore our homestay move-out day! I was overly ready, as was almost everone else, to be finished with that part of our journey. My homestay family was wonderful, they made me feel very welcome and as if i were one of the kids. My mama and dada (sister) were so helpful, they taught me to cook using the various methods and made sure i knew how to handwash my clothes, though im still super slow and hate doing it! Laundry is definitely going to be outsourced immediately upon arrival to my site...the other household chores i plan to keep, for now at least, so that i have something to fill my time with when i have nothing else to do (it sounds as though i may have quite a bit of non-working time, especially during the first few months).

Above are some pictures of (part) my family and some neighbors, my baba (dad) and my kakas (brothers) were not at home, sorry you dont get to see them...
My family consisted of a baba, mama, 1 dada, 4 kaka's. Just so you know who some of the people in the pictures are...my mama is holding the cut out of my american mama and my dada (sister) is the one holding the cut out of connor, my american brother. I am the one holding the cut out of kylie! Also there is a picture of what looks to be a band, it is a band! They were at our "thank you homestay families" party yesterday! They are from the Nairobi National Theatre. Thats it for now, ill try to post more from here in Nairobi soon!


F. Porter Nellans Jr. - From Kenya With Care

1 comment:

  1. I see that you have taken your Flat-family on a photo opt... I sure hope they were not thinking about eating Tito, he does look like a tasty protein meal.
    I'm so proud of you, way to go!
    You're now an official member of the Peace Corp.
    (PS I found your blog)
    Sending hugs and kisses, love you
    mom

    ReplyDelete